Side effects may include:
- Some temporary redness and pain on the skin where you had your IV
- An allergic reaction to the radiotracers’ radiation. This is very rare and the amount of radiation exposure is low
Risks for certain people include:
- A cardiac PET scan can harm a fetus or infant, so let your provider know if you’re pregnant or nursing.
- People who have diabetes may not get accurate test results.
- People who feel anxious in small spaces may be uncomfortable during the scan. However, you can ask for a sedative before your scan.